On the test, you will be asked to answer three of the questions below, each in a well-developed paragraph of at least six sentences. Your answer should include specific detail from the text and our class discussions. There will also be a short answer portion of the test.
- What is the Matthew Effect and how does it affect success?
- Gladwell argues that even with ability and effort, people must have the opportunity to succeed. What does he mean and how does he show it?
- Why does Gladwell contrast the lives of Robert Oppenheimer and Chris Langan? What does the contrast show?
- Gladwell argues there are only two kinds of parents. What are they and how do these styles affect the likelihood of success?
- Gladwell argues that cultural legacy affects us in ways we don’t understand. Use at least three examples from the text to support this claim.
- Why, according to Gladwell, is it so difficult master a skill?